The following is a fix for a XenDesktop persistent or non-persistent machine hanging or stopping at the welcome screen during end user login. The userprofilemanager.exe process will utilize a high amount of CPU.
- Open services on another local server
- Connect to the remote machine by selecting Action>Connect To Another Computer
- Enter the resolvable name or IP address of the desktop stopped at welcome
- set the Citrix Profile Management service startup type to disabled
- Reboot the machine
- Delete c:program filescitrixuser profile manageruser profile manager_c:.cache
- this file cannot be deleted properly unless the Citrix Profile Management service is stopped
- open services on the desktop again
- set the Citrix Profile Management service to Automatic
- Reboot the desktop
- Antivirus – standard issue AV can cause issues with VDI desktops, especially if those desktops are non-persistent, pooled resources and AV is not configured correctly.
- Streaming or roaming profile sources and details – depending on where a user profile is stored, issues can occur at the welcome screen while this loads.
- check startup items in msconfig
This situation has been observed on Citrix XenDesktop 4 and XenDesk 5 on Windows XP and Windows 7.
The fix applies to both persistent and non-persistent desktops. If a non-persistent golden image contains a corrupt .cache file, the pool will more than likely need to be updated.